A company’s sustainability report is a document that highlights their commitment to their Planet, People and Profit.
There are several frameworks and benchmarks that companies can measure and report on. For example, there is the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to name a few.
Depending on the size of the company, its sector and its ESG commitments a company makes, the framework should be selected. But what should a report really include? How can it be written in a way that would win the hearts and minds of your stakeholders?
Below are some recommendations that would help you kick start your first report.
Your Sustainability Report should:
? Highlight Leadership alignment
• CEO and Chairman letter to tell a human, and a positive story that would help their stakeholders understand the role they play in the ESG Journey
? Tell a Clear Strategy
• Links your sustainability to business strategy
• Addresses your current and future challenges, risks, and opportunities
• Provide transparency around your (environmental, social, economic) challenges
? Highlight what the future looks like
• Where the business is headed
• What future projects/efforts are in the skyline
?️ Highlight the Importance of Environmental, Social and Governance to the business growth
• How/why these topics are important?
• How is your business measuring their impact?
• How is success measured?
⚡️ Highlight the key stakeholders
• Who they are and how they are prioritized?
• What issues are important to them?
• What role do they play in your sustainability journey?
• How are you engaging with them?
• How do you address their concerns?
• The Positive outcomes of well-informed stakeholders
Communique specialises in communicating Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) strategies. Our work has impacted 150K employees, 200k customers and resulted in £300M investment deals completed. If you need help gaining buy-in from your leadership team or designing your ESG communication strategy get in touch